Giving You The Arts, The Culture, The Events, The Business,and a Little Bit More

Monday, September 26, 2011

Watch Your Language!

I think it is fairly apparent that I have a fascination with words and the English language in general.  I am always intrigued by the way that writers and speakers pick certain words to get their message across.  Some of the greatest phrases in writing and public speaking would be less memorable and most likely less meaningful to millions of readers or members of audiences.

Think for a moment and ask yourself if any of the following were written or spoken with a different choice of words.  And for the full effect, I have elected to repeat the phrase with words that have the same or very similar meaning.

The Original

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." - Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence, 1776

The  Change

"Everybody knows the truth of what I'm saying.  We are all the same, and we all were given rights by God that no one can take away.  Some of them are Life, Liberty, and my right to do whatever I think will make me happy." - Me, A Very Modified Clause, 2011

The Original

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene 2

The Change

"Names don't mean nothing.  If a rose was called something else, it would still smell good."  Me, A Very Modified Line, 2011

I think you can see my point.  Which brings me to purpose of this posting:  the proper use of the English language is being lost.  Everyday my ears and my mind are assaulted by the improper use of English language both by the written word or, more commonly, by poor speaking grammer. 

If I were never to hear one more person end a sentence with the word "at" it will be too soon.  It is almost too much to ask that when people speak, they will not end their sentence with a proposition.

How about does modifiers?  I actually hear this on commercials: "it is the same exact thing."  If something is the same, it is exact already.  And one I hear in Church, "separate and apart".  If something is separate from another item, it is already apart.

I am not a purist and I have on occasion not used proper English grammar, but I do make an effort to speak and write correct English.  English is the richest, most supple, and most subtle language on the planet.  The combination of the Germanic base with the Latin and French admixture from the Norman Conquest gives the English language the greatest number of synonyms of any language.  We have had passed to us the Ferrari of languages:  elegant, powerful, and sometimes a little finicky.  But like the Italian sports car, if one embraces it and seeks out the knowledge of how to properly use it, the English language provides a beautiful form of expresion, whether written or spoken.

Take a moment to reflect on the words that you choose to place in something as humber as an email, or as soaring as speech to Congress.  Make those words count and for Pete's sake, don't end your sentences with a preposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment